A native app allowing hosts to list and manage their spaces, artists to discover rehearsal space, and both parties to negotiate the booking easily.
Sketch, InVision, Google Analytics, Trello, Mural, Photoshop
In a larger team of 5 UX designers, we conducted daily standups and weekly team retrospectives stay on top of the project. We also used the Gantt Chart to map the crucial deadlines. Given the tight project timeframe of 4 weeks we decided to work in 3 weekly sprints, each focusing on:
An app would give tutti an advantage on the market and speed up the booking process and communication between hosts and artists.
Google Analytics analysis, told us that most people don’t use even one of the 63 existing filters. We saw an opportunity in improving them.
We organised a workshop with our client to define the points of friction from the client perspective. Out of 6 initial users stories we prioritised the following 3:
A choir that has specific requirements for their rehearsals would like to be able to filter search results so they can identify the locations that best fit their needs.
Tutti tribe (Tutti users both hosts and artists) want to be able to communicate simply so they can agree and confirm a booking.
A Jazz club wants to set cheaper prices for daytime bookings (compared to evening bookings) in order to encourage more artists to use their space.
Tutti had an existing beta website and needed a native app that will work along with it. The client was also seeking to bring the user input into their business model. From a business perspective, they wanted to increase conversion and increase retention. We needed to cater for two distinct groups of users: Hosts and Artists.
Artist users: by making it easier to browse, identify, rent and use spaces that meet their needs
Host users: by making it appealing and easy for host users to post their spaces for rent
Artist users: by enabling to re-book spaces they’ve previously used and explore alternative spaces
Host users: by making it easy to communicate with renters, make updates to postings
After getting to know the business side of tutti we conducted 10 user interviews to help us understand how users interact with the product and to define their priorities. We developed personas for the 2 groups of users (artists and hosts) who were interacting with each other and had different needs:
A recent music school graduate needs a quick and easy way to find a reliable rehearsal space because they can’t practice at home due to noise constraints.
The owner of a small music studio wants to rent out their space to responsible artists so that they can earn extra cash and make new connections.
The challenges that our users encountered were broader than our initial hypothesis. We brainstormed over 40 ideas, developed and tested 9 best concepts to ensure we are designing the right thing. User testing helped us prioritise the following concepts:
Setting options during onboarding to shorten the filters list and creating a personalised view was the artists favourite.
Artists wanted to see a grid showing the price breakdown, that would also allow hosts to set up different pricing options.
A link to their creative portfolio in their profile page, visible for the other site as well as a review between both groups.
We moved quickly, brainstorming our first ideas on paper, then testing, refining and moving to the digital prototype. My task was to develop the onboarding, search, map and filters.
We continuously tested our work in progress with users. During the project duration, we tested our prototype with 20 users. In the last round we asked the users to complete the following:
set up a new account
list a space (host)
find and book a space (artist)
We fixed all major errors and gave the client a list of recommendations. Here are some interesting turnovers:
Users wanted to see the map straight away so we removed this screen.
Users needed an explanation of how tutti works. We added 3 screens, explaining the benefits.
Tests were inconclusive about the sign up. “The third button” that could be tested in the first release.
Streamlined search - set up during the sign up for artist
Filter categories have been simplified
“Spaces” with repeat bookings, saved spaces, suggested for you
Flexibility for hosts
Clarity for artists on pricing breakdown
Ability for hosts to offer discounts or extras
Messaging integrated within the app allows faster communication and negotiations
Artist and Host “creative” details in profiles
Reviews and ratings
Intro to Tutti before sign up
Many users on tutti both host and browse spaces. We applied the branding colours to create a distinction between both modes. Switching to the other profile is possible in their profile section.
User research helped us prioritise all the features and validate our hypothesis after the kick-off meeting.
We analysed google analytics that gave us insights into how the artists interact with the website. That was crucial since we couldn’t access the “artist” users during the strict project timeframe.
Working in a larger team taught us the importance of daily stand-ups, organisation and dividing the workload effectively.
Finding compromises is a crucial part of design. During this project we were designing for 2 user groups with sometimes opposite needs and the client who had business goals as well.